Tamale Corn Cakes
Since my family and I have changed our way of eating, going out to resturants have been a little bit more challenging to order from. We found ourselves running in to that problem when I we went out with friends and family. Now we check online for the menu options (if they are available) or just eat before we go so we arent hungy at the resturant and order a salad or something. We went to The Cheesecake Factory for a family member’s birthday a little before we went vegan. They had a couple of appitizers that were vegetarian friendly, but they had one dish that we loved! The tamle cakes! I googled a few recipes for it, and altered ingredients to exclude the regular butter and replace with vegan butter. I can’t exactly remember the source, This is not the healthiest of dishes that I have prepared, but they are tasty and it a nice treat from time to time. I hope you enjoy them!
Chipotle sauce ingredients:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (or regular)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Chipotle sauce instructions:
- Mix vegan mayonnaise, white vinegar and water together in a small bowl.
- Add sugar, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper and garlic powder into the mayonnaise mix and mix well.
- Put the sauce into the refrigerator to chill before serving.
Corn cake ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn
- 1/2 softened vegan butter (or regular butter)
- 1/2 cup masa
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cilantro
Corn cake instructions:
- Blend 1 cup of the frozen corn coarsely.
- Add the softened butter, sugar and salt to the blender and blend well.
- Pour the corn mix from the blender into a medium sized bowl. Add the masa, flour and 1/2 cup of frozen corn to the mixture, and mix well by hand.
- Make patties by hand and put into an un-greased skillet. Let the corn patty fry until brown on one side, then flip it like a pancake. Once both sides are brown, your corn cakes are done!
- Drizzle the chipotle sauce on top and garnish with cilantro. Add additional toppings if you want. (salsa, tomatillo green sauce, sour cream, avocado)