Banana-nut crumb muffins
I made these muffins one Sunday when I knew we were going to have a busy couple of mornings that following week. I figured this would be a convenient breakfast on the go, along with some fruit. They came out great! It was my first time making muffins and everyone loved them. I let Arah’s cousins try them and they loved them. They normally are afraid to try my plat-base recipes, but they looked so good, they didn’t even ask me if it was made out of vegetables this time before eating them. The only difference between these muffins and traditional ones are the egg replacement, and they were okay with knowing that I used apple sauce instead of eggs. I definitely feel like this recipe made them a little more open-minded to trying my food.
- 2 flax eggs or 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 tbs pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbs baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup walnuts
Crumb topping ingredients:
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 5 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Light grease muffin tin (12 count)
- If using flax eggs, prepare the 2 flax eggs in a mixing bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add the bananas to the flax eggs or apple sauce and mash together. Add the brown sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk.
- Stir in vanilla extract and coconut oil, mix together. Add flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon. Once mixed, add the walnuts and food into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly into the 12 muffin tins, filling them about 3/4 full.
- In a mixing bowl, add the crumble ingredients. Mash them together with a fork until it is crumbly and wet like sand.
- Generously top the muffins with the crumbles. (you may have left overs.)
- Bake for about 7-22 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. To check, poke with a toothpick or knife. If it comes out clean, they are done.
- Remove from oven and let them cool. For storage, cover in a container at room temperature or store in freezer for longer term.