Lentil Sloppy Joe’s
I made lentil sloppy Joe’s last week. The first time I made these, they came out way better than I thought they would! I got the original recipe from onegreenplanet.org. Their recipe used shredded carrots and vegan worchishire sauce. I prefer not to use the carrots in mine. I also couldn’t find vegan worchshire sauce near my home, so I used a substitute recipe for it using molasses and balsamic vinegar. I found a few other recipes online, using other ingredients (ketchup, oregano, yellow mustard, etc.), but they all seem pretty similar to this one. This is the recipe I use for my preference. My son also loved this dish! He just eats it without the bun.
When mine is almost done, I do a taste check for my liking. If you want more of a sweet taste, add more brown sugar. If you want more of the “sloppy Joe” flavor, add more worchishire sauce substitute. I do not add all of the worchshire sauce mix to it at once. I add a little at a time to make sure the flavor is not too over powering. I topped mine with an almond cheese, avocado, sautéed onions and spinach. They are also awsome without the toppings.
- 2 1/2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 of a red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt/pepper to taste
- 6 buns
- Toppings of your choice: avocado, vegan cheese, onions, spinach, etc…
- Heat 1 tablespoons olive oil, over medium. Saute the onions, bell pepper, garlic, heat for 5-6 minutes until soft (adding more water as necessary so the veggies don’t stick).
- Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vegan worcestershire sauce (or balsamic and molasses), liquid smoke, mustard and oregano. Bring to a low boil, decrease heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste and add salt/pepper (or more balsamic or liquid smoke) if necessary.
- Add in the cooked lentils and stir until evenly coated. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns with your favorite toppings.