Hearty Vegetable Soup
Soup is something easy to make when you are eating a plant-based diet. I have made so many different soups over the past year! This soup recipe is something I came up with just working with what I already had in me house at the time, and part of a minestrone soup that I made once. I changed the type of beans I used in the original soup because I prefer kidney beans over northern white beans. And I removed the pasta the recipe calls for. Well, I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 14 oz. diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 14 oz. kidney beans (1 can)
- 1 diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 sliced carrots
- 2 russet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- green beans (cooked fresh or frozen)
- 1 corn (cooked fresh, 1 can drained or frozen)
- salt, pepper, herbs for taste
*If you are using fresh corn on the cob, cook and shuck first. For the fresh green beans, it is easier if you steam them or boil them first. This is to make sure they are tender enough when add to the soup.
- In a medium sauce pan, add the olive oil, celery and onions. Saute for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic. Saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- In a large pot, combine the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and herbs. Bring pot to a boil, then add the sauteed carrot mix, diced potatoes, frozen/cooked green beans, frozen/cooked corn and kidney beans.
- Put the heat on low and simmer for about 20 min or until carrots, potatoes and frozen vegetables are tender.
- Let the soup cool and garnish fresh basil (optional). Enjoy!